Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sacramentals Are Not Charms

The Virgin of Manaoag in Pngasinan, Philippines








"Get these things out of here. Stop turning my Father's house into a marketplace!" -John 2:16 (NLT)


Last July 19, 2014 I went to Pangasinan with justa friend with me. We paid a visit to Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary of Manaoag. Since we were not rushing, I was able to go around the vicinity. I have nothing against those selling foods outside the the Church compound. Actually I bought a lot of "puto kutchinta", "kornik", and "tupig". But what called my attention when some vendors of I thought religious articles approached us and selling us small images. I am about to buy because I wanted to give some friends back in Manila pocket image of Our Lady. But seeing those packs of images with inscription "LUCKY CHARMS" I told them I do not believe in Lucky Charms.

Each pack contains miniature images of the Holy Family with Inscription for "For Good Family Relationships", an image of Our Lady of Manaoag  with "For Safe Travel", a Benedictine Cross with an inscription "For Successful Business" and another small image which I wasn't able to recognize with an inscription "For Successful Lovelife".

As I have said, I have nothing against those vendors but I am very much against those sacramentals treated as luck charms.This is very much rampant not just within the vicinity of Manaoag, but also so some other Chruches. I hope we priests can do something about this. I pray that informed and evangelized lay workers and leaders of these churches can do something. We catholics are being accused by other religions to be so supertitious and we are if we will never stop this. They can sell sacramentals, or religious articles, why not? But please do not treat them as charms or amulets.

While offering and lighting some candles in honor
of Our Lady of Manaoag.


For everyones information; Our crucifix, icons and other articles are examples of what we call sacramentals. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, sacramentals are sacred signs instituted by the Church to prepare us to receive the fruit of the sacraments and to sanctify different circumstances of our lives (no. 1677).

I hope that all of us Catholics be informed and evangelized with the truth. We treat Holy Articles as Holy and not as charms or amulets.

Prayer:
Lord, forgive us our trespasses. Help to remain in your truth. Keep us Holy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment