Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Father, Will You Marry Me?

The wedding of my Utol Engr. Andrew dela Cruz and Tin-Tin Palad which
I officiated and witnessed. Note. This is not the wedding of a friend who called.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever."
                                                                                                        -Isaiah 40:8 (NIV)

I don't usually answer phone calls with unregistered numbers in my cellphone. But I do not know what moved me to answer a phone call with unregistered number one morning.

When I answered it, a guy from the other line greeted me and said, "Father, will you marry me?" 

I was shocked with the proposal! Only to found out that the guy was a schoolmate way back in my high school days. What he really wanted to asked was If I can solemnize his marriage with a long time girlfriend. Of course I accepted the invitation.

In the evening of the same day, in my usual reflections, I realized something. I told myself, I should have answered him with a big yes when he said, "Father, will you marry me?

I realized something. Faithfulness is needed for a marriage to last forever. When I was ordained, I am indeed married to the Church. The conversation reminded me that I should always be faithful to the Church. I must always be faithful to my priesthood.

All of us Christians must be faithful to our baptismal promises. We must all be faithful to Christ.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for your faithfulness. Help us and give us the grace to be faithful to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment