Wednesday, October 2, 2013

On Confession

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9 (NIV)

In one of the Kumpisalan ng Bayan which we organized when I was the Parish Priest of Sto. Domingo de Guzman Parish in Basco, Batanes I was moved to tears seeing many people came to avail of the Holy Sacrament of Confession.

One of the faithful who saw me wiping my eyes as I went out of the confessional approached me and asked:

"Father, were you crying? What made you cry then? Is it the sins you heard in confession?"

I answered:

 "Yes, I was in tears. They were tears of joy. I am very happy to see that the Church, I mean, you and me, our Parish, our people, we still have Christ in us and with us. We still see our need of Him".

Then, I shared to her what Blessed John Paul II said during his homily on an Ash Wednesday.

The Blessed Pope said:

"When we forget the need for penance, self-denial and sacrifice, we forget the fact of sinfulness. When we forget that we are sinners, we forget our need of Christ. And when we forget we need Christ, the we have lost everything."


Prayer:

Lord, thank you very much for the wonderful Sacrament of Your Love and Compassion--the Holy Sacrament f Confession. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment