Saturday, August 31, 2013

Fish Be With You

Fish be with you! The fish which I caught when I joine Idiptan Fishermen
one afternoon in Basco, Batanes.

"They are not of the world, as I also am not of the world." -John 17:16 (Douay-Rheims)


Form time to time, When I was still in Batanes I am joining fishermen in catching fish to experience it. Usually, just for fun after our fishing, we cook some and eat them together.

One day, while partaking some fish with the fishermen, I just said something: 

"Look at the fish in the sea. Even they lived long on salty water, they never absorb the taste of it."

Everybody, just looked at me. And I added my realization:

"Remaining pure in a polluted world is difficult. Living in a world of so much consumerism, of so much sin, of so much hatred in truth will be very difficult. But a heart filled with the Spirit of God leaves no room for the pollution."

Everyone just kept silent. Maybe all are wondering why out of the blue I said those things. I might appear to them to be so preachy. They might think of me as saying something which is out of the context of what we were doing then, but indeed, it's true.

We can learn from the fish of the sea. Remember the prayer of Jesus? His prayer must reminds us always that yes, we are in the world but we are not of this world.

Well, to regain their consciousness again, I just said "Fish be with you!" and everyone laughs. But I hope they were able to get my message.


Prayer:

Lord, help us not to go with the flow of life. Give us the courage and strength to go against the current  of the sea of life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment