Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ordinary Priest

Concelebrating with my inspiration in living a simple and an ordinary life,
 Fr. Alger Gonzales during the Holy Mass at Isla Vuhus in Batanes.
Photo Taken May 15, 2012

"Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people." -Romans 12:16 (NLT)


In Batanes priests will always be part of any celebrations specially in civic activities. Priests are even invited to most of the conferences any government agencies are organizing. The presence of a priest is very much valued and is given much importance by the Ivatans, the people of Batanes.

Batanes for more than two centuries were administered by the Order of Preachers (OP), they are very familiar with the Dominican Missionaries.

When I was assigned in Batanes, I used to be invited to so many affairs. They are very formal in inviting, they will be sending you letters of invitation. I am a diocesan priest but most of the letters I received always have the O.P. in my name.

I told myself, I am not a Dominican. Maybe they missed the Dominican Fathers who served them, well I should give credit and so much gratitude to the Dominican Missionaries who have done so much for Batanes and its people, not only for evangelizing them, not only for building such magnificent churches in the Island but for everything we have now came from them.

While going back to those letters, seeing OP in my name, smiling, I now realized that God is calling me to be an OP! Yes, a real OP. A real Ordinary Priest!

Now, I can say proudly, I am an OP! I am an Ordinary Priest!


Prayer:

Lord, thank you for reminding me to live simply. To be an ordinary living with and among ordinary people. Thank you for making me realized that by doing ordinary things with love and passion that comes from my intimacy with you will have much fruits, extraordinary fruits. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment