Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Priests Are Still Human

With some of the young Ivatans in Metro Manila.

"Friends, why are you doing this? We are merely human beings--just like you!” –Acts 14:15

I want to share three stories that I have experienced:

First, when I was about to celebrate a Holy Mass in a very far mountain village, I feel I was called by nature and unfortunately there was no public Cr in the place near the chapel. I went and look for a mango tree and there I peed. When I entered the Barrio Chapel while puting alcohol on my hands before vesting for the Holy Mass, an old lady approached me and said, "Father Umiihi din po pala ang pari?"

Second, when our class in Galilee Center, Tagaytay City went for an outing in Taytay Falls, Majayjay, Laguna. WE met a family who was about to leave already. They were pulling out their tents. I was able to talk to the mother who handed me a basket of fruits which they were not able to consume. I thanked her and introduced our group as student-priests from different dioceses. At that moment, my brother priests who were just a meter away from us, was laughing so hard because one of them made a joke. The lady asked me "Ay, Father, tumatawa din pala kayo ng ganun kalakas?"

Third, when walking in in a bank. I was just in my slippers. I was trying to encash a gift-check given to me by a friend. I was in the line. The guard looked at me with suspicion because I was not dressed as the others. He made a hand signal to me to approach him which I did. He asked me what is my business in the bank. I told him I am to encash a check. He looked at the check, read the name and asked my ID. I showed him my Identification Card. When he looked at it. His eyes widen and told me "Ay, sorry po, pari po pala kayo, akala ko tao. Sorry po talaga." By the way, that is the only available ID I have that time. I renewed my passport, so I was not able to bring it instead as I usually do.

Hey, friends, yes we are priests but we are also human. We are not angels. More so we are not gods. You are not able to understand us because you do not treat us like humans as you are. 


Prayer:
Lord, remind me always that I am also human like others. May I remain himble in your sight. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment