Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Son

The painting.

"But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become children of God..." -John 1:12 (NASB)

Let me share with you this story. A father and a son enjoyed their collection of paintings by famous international artists, like that of Rembrandth, Picasso and Van Gogh. Forced by the Vietnam war, the son volunteered to go to war. The son showed his heroism in the Vietnam war. The son saved many lives that day. He was carrying a fellow soldier to safety when a bullet pierced his heart and killed him instantly.

One morning there was a knock at the father's house. It was a soldier holding a small package in his hands. "Sir, you do not know me, but I was one of the soldiers your son has saved. I owe my life to him." The soldier opened the package, it was a painting he made to honor the son who saved him.

The father was drawn to the eyes of his son in the painting as he remembered his son. The father volunteered to pay it. "O no sir. I can never pay for my life your son died for. It's yours...my gift."

After some months, the father died. All the collector items, all the paintings were put in an auction. Many rich people came wanting t posses one or even several of the great paintings. The auctioneer banged his gavel to start the auction. "We shall start the auction of the paintings with the painting of the son. Who will offer the first bid?"

Some people complained: "We did not come for that painting. Let us go on immediately with the paintings of the masters!" "We start bidding with this picture of the son. Who will bid for the son?" No one wanted to bid for the son. There was silence in the crowd.

Then, a tiny voice was heard from the back of the room. It was the old house helper of the father and the son. "I am offering 200 pesos for that." The auctioneer announced "200 pesos is the bid. Who will bid 300? 400? 500? 1000?" Silence. There was an angry voice: "Give it to him for 200 pesos and let us go on with the real bid!" The auctioneer pounded the gavel, "The painting of the son is sold for 200." And he put down his gravel. "Now let us go on with the bid", another voice shouted.

"I am sorry that I was not to revel the stipulation of the last will and testament until this time. The father has willed that whoever gets the son, gets all the wealth of the father."

Dear friends, God gave his only begotten Son (cf. John 3:16). Whoever gets the Son, inherits everything from the heavenly Father!

Jesus, the Son of the Father said; "Whoever receives me, receives the One who sent me." -Matthew 10:40


Prayer:
Lord, I receive you in my life. You are my inheritance and my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment