Saturday, September 28, 2013

Taxi Driver: My Teacher

From the FB page Get A Taxi
"Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!" 
-2 Corinthians 9:15 (ESV)

One evening I need to meet a priest-friend from the province. I need to take a cab (taxi) that will bring me to the place where we agreed to meet one another.

There were many taxi cabs who do not want to take me to the place. I prayed to the Lord to send me someone.

Answered prayer! Wow, right in front of me is a taxi cab, I asked the driver first if it is ok for him to bring me to the place for it's really quite far from where I am staying.

At first he was so hesitant, giving me many alibis. But I insisted. He took me for the ride.

While on our way, I started conversing with him, asking him questions. I learned he is in his forty, with three children but the second child is very sick. Deep within my heart, I am planning to give him more. I asked him to pray to God to help him with his problems.

Upon arriving at the location, I gave him the total amount he needed for his boundary telling him that God loves him and his family. He said "Sir, I will just wait for you and bring you home again".

"No, you don't need to", I said. "Just go around for you to get some passengers, so that you can earn more tonight", I added.

A priest-friend handed me a check payable to cash with not so big amount. I went out of the place, and here comes the taxi driver whom I thought left already. Yes, he waited for me. He insisted to bring me back home.

On our way home, I asked him why he needed to do it for me, as I gave him without asking him anything in return, I told him that I just wanted to help his son suffering from hepa meningitis (I do not know if I heard it right, It's a medical term anyway). Telling him that It is the Lord who is so good to him that He let him stop at me and at that moment made me needed a cab. It was the Lord who arranged everything.

I was surprised with his answer:

"Sir, I knew it is the Lord. I was driving already the whole day, but I got only some passengers, most of them were so inconsiderate asking me to bring to far places but never gave me anything, and here you come, you don't even know me, and you help me. If it is not the Lord, It is impossible. You must love God, Sir and you are showing it by being compassionate to people. I learned from you Sir, because I believe in God, I must also take care of you. It is already evening and you have no one with you. So I will bring you home."

Wow, what an experience. Love begets love. Respect begets respect. Service begets service.

The taxi driver taught me to be always thankful. And being truly thankful can only be expressed through loving service.

Before I went out of the taxi, I handed him the check. "Use this for the medicine of your boy. God loves you so much!"

What a wonderful experience of seeing God and experiencing his love. His inexpressible gifts of persons and learnings!


Prayer:

Lord, thank you for the opportunity of serving you. Thank you for the great opportunity of meeting simple people in whom I have much to learn. Bless the taxi driver whom I forgot to get the name and his family. Heal his son. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment